Last week our first 'Meet The Snapchatter' was Clondalkin's Enya Martin a.k.a your one from Giz A Laugh. This week meet Sutton's, Paddy Smyth. Paddy is known for his vivacious personality, his appearance on First Dates Ireland and raising the flag across the country for those living with a disability. Paddy answered 33 of our 'pressing' questions with utter honesty and, with an ode to his favourite expression, he really is a "gas bitch":
1. What’s your Snapchat handle?
2. Why did you start Snapchatting?
Honestly, for the craic and then I thought it would be a good idea to showcase how I live with Cerebral Palsy in my legs and how I really live a ‘normal life’ - when I was younger I could never relate to anyone regarding disabilities because I didn’t look at it in the way everyone else did. Everyone felt sorry for me or were so serious about the subject - where I didn’t mind having it, it made me different and it had its perks. I could skip queues and make people carry stuff for me *laughs*. I’m also a self-confessed train wreck. I get myself in mad situations.
3. What's three things you’d love to banish forever?
Kitten Heels, Kitten and Kitten Heels.
4. Name one person that needs to make a comeback?
Whoopi Goldberg - Mad Bitch.
5. Ketchup Or Mayo?
Garlic Mayo – It just makes anything so nice.
6. What’s your favourite book of all time?
I haven’t read a book in years. Maybe I should start - that’s pretty bad.
7. Who’s your favourite Irish president of all time?
Mary Robinson, probably cause I met her and we painted together when I was six - I think.
8. Have you ever seen RuPaul’s Drag Race?
Yes, but I’m not a huge fan. I can feel the shade from the gays already! *laughs*
9. What song could you win a lip sync battle with?
'Bad Babysitter' – Princess Superstar.
10. The Breakfast Club or Mean Girls?
Mean Girls. That had a weirdly huge impact on my life. I used to walk down the halls of my school pretending I was Regina George in my head – It didn’t really work though I just came across like a knob and on top of that it was an ‘All Boys’ school – So Yeah. Haha.
11. What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
When I lived in London I use to cold call people trying to sell them a service for them to set up a will. It wasn’t responded to nicely as you could imagine.
12. What’s the best thing about Ireland?
The people, the craic. I adore Ireland.
13. What’s the worst?
Hmmm, it’s not great for disabled access.
14. Do you believe in the paranormal?
Yeah, I find it real interesting.
15. What’s one thing people take for granted?
There are so many things we all take for granted. It’s just human nature.
16. Would you rather a spice bag or 3 in 1?
Both. I can’t choose!
17. What's one cause close to your heart?
Disability rights and access.
18. If you could relive any moment in your life what would it be?
When I did a talk in Cork University with the students and one that was disabled started crying after my talk as it touched him so much and he could really relate to it. And it just really made me think, that this is the reason why I do what I do. So, people like him can know that they're not alone in how they feel having a disability.
19. Barry’s or Lyons?
Barry’s - 100%
20. Who’s your favourite Snapchatter?
The White Moose Café at the moment, it always changes. I do love James K too – buts that’s probably basis cause we’re mates. *laughs*
21. What makes you proud to be Irish?
That you can’t get better banter anywhere else in the world in my opinion. I also am v proud that we were the first country to legalise gay marriage by popular vote!
22. Halloween or Christmas?
Christmas. I’m one of those people who adore Christmas, like I love Christmas music. So, if you hate Christmas you may find me V annoying this time of year. My work colleagues ban me from singing any Christmas music in the office.
23. What's one thing you can’t stand about Snapchat?
The filters kinda annoy me.
24. What's one thing about you not many people would know?
I once snuck into a Westlife book signing using my crutches in Eason’s on O’Connell Street and got to meet them.
25. If you had to choose: Father Ted or Ms. Brown’s Boys?
Not mad on either.
26. What’s your favourite cheese?
Every type of cheese. I’m a cheese fanatic!
27. What advice would you give your teenage self?
Stop trying to fit in.
28. Name one person that makes you laugh hysterically?
29. What’s one thing you can’t live without?
My Phone or my Crutches.
30. A nagin or a bag of cans?
31. What five people, dead or alive, would you invite to a dinner party and why?
My birth Mum, she passed away and I would love to meet her. Marilyn Monroe – I find her such an intriguing person, Cher, cause I’d say she’s a gas bitch. Whoopi Goldberg, also a gas bitch. Andy Warhol, I love the way he only ever says 2-word responses in an interview. I’d wanna see if that’s what he’s really like. Whitney Houston – I have a soft spot for Whitney, something about her and I adore her music.
32. What’s your favourite thing about Snapchat?
That the content goes after 24 hours.
33. What’s next for Paddy?
I’d love to write my own book and create my own wine.’ F.A.G Wine’ (Fab and Gorge wine). The biggest thing for me is to keep trying to break the boundaries in Ireland surrounding disability and changing the conversation.I’ve so many things I want to do. I’ve just finished a campaign with Penney’s. That was such an amazing opportunity, I couldn’t believe it.
You can keep up with what's going on in Paddy's life on his Snapchat handle @paddysmyth or under the Instagram hashtag #mydisablelife.