If you're anything like me, you're hard to please and you (mostly) despise vegetables. I mean, who could hate a potato? But seriously, it can actually be really hard to find a meal you like that you don't have to pick suspicious-looking vegetables or ingredients out of. So we've got 5 picky eater dinners for you!
Slow Cooker Bacon And Chicken Pasta
- 500g chicken breasts
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 packet ranch dressing and seasoning mix
- 320ml condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 225g spaghetti, cooked
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray; place chicken breasts in cooker.
- In medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients except spaghetti. Pour over chicken.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting for 6 hours or on High heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- When about 15 minutes are left, cook and drain spaghetti as directed on package.
- Just before serving, shred chicken with 2 forks, and toss creamy chicken mixture with cooked spaghetti.
Spinach And Feta Macaroni And Cheese
- 5 cups fresh spinach
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3.5 cups milk
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar, shredded
- 3/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 500g macaroni pasta, cooked to al dente
- Toss lemon juice and spinach then heat in microwave or over stove in a small saucepan just until it starts to wilt. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in flour and continue cooking for 3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Slowly whisk in milk and add in salt and oregano.
- Add cheddar in small amounts, stirring until melted. When all the cheese is melted, stir in the feta.
- Mix in cooked macaroni and spinach.
- Serve immediately.
Easy BBQ Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large pinch salt
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- Stir everything together in a large bowl.
- Baste the chicken with the sauce and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Heat the stove and cook the chicken over medium heat, flipping as needed and basting the chicken more as it cooks.
Quick Fried Rice
- 3 cups cold leftover cooked rice
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped, or just use 3 cloves of garlic)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1 cup frozen peas (or a bit of ginger)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- Melt butter in large non-stick pan.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots, or other ingredients you like.
- Saute until onions are transparent and carrots are tender.
- Add peas and cook one minute until peas are thawed.
- Push veggies to one side of pan.
- Scramble eggs in empty side of pan after the butter spreads from veggies.
- Mix eggs into veggies and season with pepper then put in small amount of rice.
- Add soy sauce then slowly mix in rice by the spoonful until all rice is added and all ingredients are well blended.
- Fry until done!
The Perfect Burger
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon mustard (regular or Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 500g minced beef
Other stuff to add in if you want:
1 tablespoon creamy caesar salad dressing or 1 tablespoon Greek salad dressing
1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomato
1 tablespoon sour cream or 1 tablespoon yoghurt
1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
1 tablespoon ketchup or 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh herb
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Lightly oil pan and heat to medium.
- Whisk egg in a bowl and add next 6 ingredients.
- Add any of the extras that you like.
- Add in the beef and mix it all together.
- Gently shape mixture into burgers about 1cm thick.
- Using your thumb, make a shallow depression in the centre of each burger to prevent puffing up during cooking.
- Place burgers on the pan, turning once, about 6 – 8 minutes per side.
- Tuck into a warm bun and add your favourite toppings.
Note: Don't abuse your burgers by pressing with a spatula, pricking with a fork or turning frequently!