Australia is a land of mystery. No matter where you are in the world, Australia is the furthest place from it. But what do we know about the country the locals call 'Straya? Well, probably not as much as we thought. Turns out Australians are batshit crazy.
1. It's seriously always hot
2. We all really love Vegemite. Like, a lot.
3. We've had 5 Prime Ministers in 5 years
Kevin Rudd ('07-'10), ousted by Julia Gillard ('10-'13), who was ousted by Kevin Rudd ('13) who then was outvoted by the public in favour of Tony Abbott ('13), who was ousted by current PM Malcolm Turnbull ('15 -). Fun times!
4. We go to a hardware store to get a sausage. It's perfectly acceptable not to go in.
Note: must be a beef sausage and must be called a snag. $1 soft drink is a must-have. Some people even went to extreme lengths to get a snag:
5. And our elections have to have sausage sizzles #democracysausage
6. Australians call McDonald's "Maccas" and we even have legit signs to prove it
7. No one has seen a kangaroo or koala in the wild unless they live in the bush or somewhere away from the city
But when they do...
8. Sadly there are spiders everywhere
In our bathrooms, in our shoes....
9. Kookaburras are the worst.
100% guarantee of waking you the fuck up
10. Thongs are flip-flops and we will never call them flip-flops even if there's a fire
11. We have the best Cadbury chocolate in the world hands down
Turkish Delight! Snack! Top Deck! It's making me cry.
12. We have some actually really beautiful animals you mightn't have heard of:
13. Australia Day rivals Paddy's Day
January 26 is a day of 'Straya Pride.
14. Chicken parmy is a thing you're missing out on
Just look at it.
15. And big chain stores with multiple departments. All Australians love Kmart. But never ask as we will never STFU about it
Kmart is life.
16. Drive-thru off-licence shops. Oh yes.
Except we call them bottle-os!
17. Footy means every sport basically
Rugby league, rugby union, soccer, AFL...
18. The NT News is a real newspaper
It is the jewel in our crown
19. We have snakes... lots of 'em. In fact 20 out of 25 of the world's deadliest snakes live in 'Straya!
But they're not everywhere.
20. Christmas falls in the hottest season of the year meaning cricket on the beach, swimming and BBQs
Life is pretty good when you're wearing just your togs (yep that's what some Aussies call swimsuits)
Have you ever been to Australia? What weirded you out or surprised you the most about their way of life?