Here's Everything You Need To Know About Getting Emergency Tax Back

Here's Everything You Need To Know About Getting Emergency Tax Back

As students, we're always hearing about someone getting their "emergency tax back" but half the time people don't even know what this means. If you're in a position where you've started a job and haven't gotten your tax back, we're here to iron things out.

How to avoid being emergency taxed

Firstly, it's important to know you can avoid getting emergency taxed in the first place. Emergency tax is applied if you start a new job and your employer has not received;

  • your P45 from the current or previous year
  • your Tax Credit Certificate
  • you've given your P45 showing that emergency tax has been applied
  • you've given your P45 but you've forgotten to give your PPSN

So long story short, as long as you hand in your P45 on your first day of work and follow these guidelines, you shouldn't get taxed. However, if you weren't savvy to this information and you have been taxed, here's how to get it back.

How to get your emergency tax back


It's actually easier than you might think. To get your tax back all you have to do is call up the Revenue and explain you've been emergency taxed. Revenue will then send out your Tax Credit Certificate to your employer and you'll then be able to claim back any tax that you overpaid on your next paycheck.

Although getting taxed can be a pain, it does force you to save and can be a good thing. So, if you find it hard to save money, maybe put off reclaiming it until that holiday your heading on, eh?

Also Read: The WHO Have Issued A Warning About An Untreatable STD Superbug

Add us on Snapchat – @collegetimesct

Ciara Finnegan

You may also like

Facebook messenger