Here at CollegeTimes we like things to be as easy as possible when it comes to food.
If you're a student you'll know the struggle of making your own food is too real. Anything that can be made in a pot or a mug is music to our ears. We've rounded up some inexpensive, easy recipes that can all literally be made in a mug, so you can focus on more important things.
So grab your favourite mug and prepare to save time and cash.
1. The classic brownie mug cake
Ingredients: 4.5 Tbsp Flour, 3 Tbsp Sugar, 2.5 Tbsp Cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp Melted Butter, 2 Tbsp Milk
- Place all ingredients in a mug and mix well.
- Heat for 1 min 30 seconds until the cake is still soft in the middle.
- Let it sit for 2 mins and enjoy!
2. Scrambled eggs
Ingredients: 2 eggs, a dollop of butter, a splash of milk
- Beat the yokes and milk until smooth.
- Add in the butter, place some clingfilm on top and pierce a small hole in it.
- Microwave for 1 min 30 sec, stirring every 20 seconds.
3. Blueberry muffin mug cake
Ingredients: 4 tbsp (30g) all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 2 1/2 tsp granulated sugar, 3 tbsp (45ml) fat-free milk, 1/2 tbsp (7.5ml) vegetable oil, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 10 blueberries
- Combine all ingredients except blueberries in a mug.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Cook for 1 min or add on 15 sec until done.
- Allow it to cool before eating.
4. Red velvet mug cake
Ingredients: 6 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 10 drops red food coloring, 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- Mix all the ingredients together except the cream cheese.
- Fold in the cream cheese into the centre of the batter.
- Heat for 5 minutes until a toothpick comes clean.
- Eat straight away
5. Microwave cheese cake
Ingredients: 115g cream cheese at room temperature, 225g sour cream/yogurt, 4 tablespoons sugar, 2 egg whites, slightly beaten, 1 tablespoon flour, 75g crushed oreo cookies ( extra for the base)
- In a bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, yogurt ( or sour cream) , sugar, egg whites and flour until light and fluffy. This recipe makes 3 cheesecakes.
- In a mug, sprinkle a layer of cookie crumbs in the bottom of your mug to create your cheesecake base.
- To make 1 cheesecake: Mix 115g cheesecake base with 75g Oreos.
- Microwave for 1 minute.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours and enjoy.
6. Cheesy sweet potato hash
Ingredients: 1 small sweet potato, Water, enough to cover the potatoes, 2 peppers, chopped, 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped, 2 tablespoons grated cheese, A pinch of salt and pepper, 2 teaspoon rosemary, fresh or dried, ¼ tablespoons butter
- Peel and chop the sweet potato.
- Cover completely with cold water.
- Cook for 3/4 minutes until soft.
- Drain off water and add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Put back in the microwave until the cheese melts and enjoy!
7. Spinach and cheddar quiche
Ingredients: ½ cup packed fresh spinach, 1 egg, 15 ml milk, dash of shredded cheddar cheese, chopped up sliced ham, salt and pepper
- Crack the egg into the mug with the spinach and add the milk, cheese, ham, and salt and pepper.
- Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 3 mins.
8. Egg fried rice
Ingredients: 1 cup cooked rice, 2 tbs frozen peas, 2 tbs chopped red pepper, 1/2 green onion, chopped, 1 large egg, 1 tbs soy sauce, 1/2 tsp sesame oil,
- Place the rice into a large mug and cover with cling film. Using a knife, puncture one or two small holes through the film. Lay all vegetables on top. Cover the mug with the cling film, and microwave for a minute.
- Beat the egg and mix in the soy sauce, sesame oil, onion powder, and five-spice powder. Pour the egg mixture into the mug, and mix well.
- Cover the mug with cling film again, and microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds.
- Mix it all together and enjoy!
9. Poached eggs
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 1/2 cup water, salt and pepper
- Add a mug with 1/2 cup of water, crack the egg in the mug.
- Cover the mug with a saucer and microwave for 1 minute.
- If the eggs isn't cooked keep heating for 15 seconds until it's firm.
- Serve on toast with salt and pepper.