Good news fans of tradition! Ireland's seeming inability to cope with any weather other than 'mild drizzle' continues unabated. Given that Ireland is currently in the grips of, what it would be remiss of me to label as anything other than 'some snow and cold weather', there can be much rejoicing as our customary failure to prepare for any slightly abnormal weather has ground large swathes of society to a halt.
The Department of Education are saying that they won't issue a national closure order for schools, however they have reiterated that it is at the discretion of individual schools and boards of management to decide on whether their schools should open.
Given that schools aren't obliged to inform the Department of Education of this type of closure, it is difficult to compile a definitive list of either closures or schools that have announced a late start. However, Cork's Red FM have compiled a list of schools in the Cork area that have announced they will be opening late tomorrow. See the list below for those announced as of time of writing.
- All schools in Carrigtwohill opening at 11am
- All schools in Cobh opening at 11am
- Belgooly national school 11am
- Brooklodge Primary School Glanmire, opening at 10.30am
- Cork educate together secondary school opening at 10:30
- Gaelscoil Mhainistir an Corann in Midleton is open from 10am but classes start at 11am
- Glasheen boys opening at 10.15
- Greenmount and Deerpark opening at 10.30am
- Kinsale Community School opening at 11am.
- Midleton educate together starting classes at 11
- Naíonra na mBachlóg opening at 10.30 am
- New Inn, Glanmire opening at 11am
- North Monastery Primary School opening at 11 am
- North Presentation Primary School is opening at 11am, a further text will be sent at 09.30 if necessary
- Ovens National School open at 9am but roll call delayed to 11am to give people longer to get in.
- Rathduff N.S opening at 11am.
- Scoil Aislinn opening at 11 am
- Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh Girls and Boys opening at 10am.
- Scoil Chroí Íosa, Blarney opening at 11 am
- Scoil Maria Assumpta, Ballyphehane opening at 11 am
- Scoil Mhuire Fatima ,North Mon - opening at 11am
- Scoil Oilibheir, Ballyvolane open 11am
- Scoil Padre Pio, Churchfield opening at 11am
- Scoil Phádraig Naofa, Foxwood, Rochestown, opening at 11am
- Scoil Triest, Lota opening at 11am
- South Presentation opening at 10am.
- St Aidans Community College opening at 11 am
- St Angelas College opening at 10: 15
- St Bridget's and Midleton CBS opening at 11 am
- St colmans Midleton 10.50
- St Killians School, Mayfield opening at 10:30am.
- St Maries of the Isle National School, Bishop St, The Lough opening at 10.30am.
- St. Gabriel's School, opening at 11am
- St. Lukes school opening at 10:30am.
- Star of the sea Passage West opening at 10:30
- Sunday's Well Girls' National School opening at 11am
- Sunday’s well not opening at 11am
- Sundays Well Boys National School, opens at 11am