This sounds like a seriously sweet deal. The worst part of any holiday is the post-holiday blues after a week of sea and sun. This opportunity lets you stretch out your holiday and immerse yourself in Italian culture.
The aim of this Italian Sabbatical is to help the local community revitalise the small village of Grottole. Grottole is a small village with a rich history. The village currently has only 300 inhabitants and more than 600 empty homes. The successful candidates will become temporary citizens of the village and will volunteer for a local non-profit organisation called "Wonder Grottole". Wonder Grottole is a social enterprise which aims to rehabilitate the historic center of the village of Grottole, thanks to the regeneration of abandoned house and the creation of new community.
Should you be lucky enough to be a successful applicant here's what a typical day as a temporary citizen of Grottole would look like:
A Typical Day in Grottole
- Start your day at sunrise with an Italian breakfast accompanied by a cappuccino. Meet your local teacher for your Italian lesson.
- Make your way to the vegetable garden and learn how to grow vegetables with a local expert.
- Learn how to cook authentic Italian cuisine and help prepare a delicious meal with all local produce.
- Explore the breathtaking Italian countryside.
- To finish off the day, kick back and relax with the local community over an aperitivo. For any of you who are not familiar with what aperitivo it is an Italian term that simply means to come together and open up with drinks and small snacks. In other words my idea of a perfect evening.
Here's a short video just to show what your new country life in Italy could be like.
So if you are looking for a summer with a difference, you can apply for this unique opportunity here. The deadline for applications is 11.59 pm on Sunday 17th February and the successful candidates will be staying in Grottole from June to August.