Minister for Higher and Further Education Simon Harris has said that up to 450 new CAO offers will be required following issues with the calculated grades system.
Minister Harris said in a tweet that he had met with the CAO with regard to new offers. Harris also announced that the CAO will be releasing their own update on offers, as well as a timeline, later on today.
Just concluded a meeting with the CAO. Very grateful to them for the work they are undertaking. Between 400-450 new offers will be required. CAO will provide a further update and timeline later today. Solution focused! Meeting Higher Education Authority at lunchtime
— Simon Harris TD (@SimonHarrisTD) October 5, 2020
Minister Harris also stated that he was to meet with the HEA on what else could be done following the calculated grades debacle announced by Minister for Education Norma Foley last week.
Minister Foley that all affected Leaving Cert students would not be punished for the mistakes of the grade calculation software.
Through the student portal, affected students will be able to see their revised grades. In all, 5,408 students will receive a higher grade, by one grade band, in one subject. Furthermore, 621 students will receive a higher grade, by one band, in two subjects, with 71 students will receive a higher grade, by one band, in three or more subjects.
On the fallout to the calculated grades fiasco, Minister Foley also stated that all revised grades and subsequent appeals from students will fall into previous years appeals processes.