This past weekend marked my first Paddy's Day in Ireland since moving here, and I have to say... it wasn't what I expected. In Oz we celebrate Paddy's Day but only because it's an excuse for a piss-up. In Dublin on the other hand: not an Irish man or woman to be seen. Here's some Aussie St Patrick's Day thoughts:
1. Where are the Irish people?
Nowhere to be seen.
2. Is Mickey D coming?
Nope. He was with this guy.
3. At the parade: why is everyone American?
4. How many groups of dudes will I see wearing Irish hats and flags?
The limit does not exist.
5. Why are some girls wearing a tiny leprechaun costume and no coat? It's bloody freezin' mate.
6. Temple Bar seems like a good idea!
So calm and not busy.
7. I regret everything
A sea of people.
8. Irish people seem to hate Paddy's Day in Dublin more than I thought??
9. I even want to go home
11. This is worse than Grafton Street at Christmas
12. Why do people insist on taking ladders? Owwww
13. I haven't heard any Irish music today
14. What's green, white and orange and has no legs? Everyone in Temple Bar on Paddy's Day #legless
15. It's 2pm and I still haven't had a pint
16. I'd die before I'd be a bartender on Paddy's Day
17. OK so cabs won't stop for us, the buses aren't going and the Luas is crammed. I am doomed
18. Maybe next year I'll go to the country
19. Then I might see some real floats
20. Did I just see a sign for green beer? Lord help me
21. This was a let-down but I still love Ireland