UCD is a glorious place full of dreams, hopes and many famous alumni. Where the lake is picturesque and the library is jam packed. Whether you love it or hate it, you still know things that no one else will understand. Things that students of another college, let's face it, just wouldn't get. So, UCD students you may feel unappreciated and that this essay is ruining you life. But, not to worry, I am here to cheer you up with Things UCD Students Will Only Understand.
1) Parking is a nightmare
And, if you don't get one regardless of how manic the day ahead is you will be driving home and getting straight back into bed.
Unless you are ballsy enough to do this...
2) Programme Offices are never open and if they are there is a mile long queue
If there not open when I need them, or there's a long queue, how do you expect me to substitute my grades or check my credits.
3) Our ski trip is overshadowed
We know who's ski trip is better. We have been on the other ski trip for the last two years. No arguments there. We know we failed on this one.
4) UCD Ball is our time to shine
Let's hope it's back in the field this year.
5) Credits are a nightmare
They ruin peoples lives...seriously.
6) If you have a class in Newman and the next one is in Roebuck...RUN
UCD has one of the biggest campuses in Europe. So, if you have to go from one side to the other, you better bring your running shoes.
7) There will always be a clique in B&L and Commerce
Insiders will love the clique. Outsiders will loath it. Circle of life really.
8) Unless you're involved in ENTs you only care about it when you want something
Sorry, ENTs. But this is true.
9) Libro cop puts up with shit from no one and everyone dislikes and fears him
10) James Joyce library is a place to see everyone you have ever met
11) Health Science library is for those who really want to study
12) You either have taken out every book possible from the library...
or have never taken a book out at all...
13) Sour skittles are in short supply
There is rage and fury when these sell out. It doesn't matter how often this has happened to you, you will be equally surprised everytime.
14) The "Before I die I want to..." board can be very amusing
15) When in doubt just think: "Father Ted used to go here"
16) The swans are demons
17) If you jump in the lake you have to get a tetanus shot
18) When it's sunny we all flock to the lake
19) A man once jumped into the UCD lake for no reason at all
20) Seats at lunchtime are like gold dust
21) The homeless man gets free lunch and soup everyday
Thanks to him saving a student who was attacked walking through UCD one evening, the homeless man in UCD is taken care of everyday.