We all love those quick fix energy bars in the morning when we're on the go. Sadly, those energy bars can leave you flat broke if you buy one every single day. Try out this simple and cheap three ingredient recipe:
What you'll need:
- 1 cup of nuts
- 1 cup of dried fruit
- 12-15 pitted dried dates
- You can use roasted or raw nuts but the roasted nuts will give the bars a stronger nutty flavour. Roast the nuts on a tray at 180 c for 10 to 12 minutes until golden and leave to cool.
- Combine the nuts, dried fruit, and dates in a processor. Pulse a few times to break them up. Separate the dates if they start to stick together.
- At this stage, the ingredients should be broken down into crumb-sized chunks.
- Process for another 2 minutes until a ball shape is formed.
- Lay the dough on top of a piece of plastic or brown paper. Press the dough with your hands until it forms a thick square. Wrap and chill in clingfilm or brown paper for at least an hour or overnight if possible.
- Unwrap the chilled dough and cut into 8 large squares or 16 small squares. Wrap each bar in cling film or brown paper.
- Keep the bars in the fridge for several weeks or your freezer for up to 3 months. You can eat the bars straight from the fridge or freezer. They should have a firm but chewy consistency. The bar will soften throughout the day so keep that in mind.
- If you want to add some extra ingredients to your energy bars try shredded coconut, chocolate chips or chia seeds.