Who doesn't love egg fried rice from your local Chinese? If you're craving some special egg fried rice make your own with this simple recipe. The number one tip for this one is to allow your rice to dry out if you're using freshly cooked rice or break the rice apart if it has been stored in the fridge overnight. Better yet, buy the pre-made rice sachets you can microwave but it won't be cost effective. Here's how to make egg fried rice:
What you’ll need:
- 5 cups of cooked rice
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (slightly defrosted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- ¼ teaspoons of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
1. In one bowl beat 3 eggs. In a second bowl beat 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons of water, the paprika, and the turmeric.
2. Heat a wok over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the 3 beaten eggs (the ones without the spices), and scramble them in the pan. When they're cooked remove them from the wok and set aside.
3. Once again, heat the wok over high heat and then add the last tablespoon of oil. Add the diced onion and bell pepper and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes with the onion and pepper. Using a scooping motion to heat the rice with the onion and pepper. Use your spatula to break up any bits that stick together.
4. Pour the second bowl of uncooked egg and spice mixture over the rice and stir-fry for about 1 minute until all of the rice are coated in egg.
5. Add the peas and stir-fry for another minute or so. Add the salt, sugar, and black pepper over the rice and mix. Steam should be rising from the mixture at this stage, not smoke!
6. If the rice looks a bit dry add some water or some chicken stock and mix with the rice. Mix in the scrambled eggs and scallions and you're ready to go. Cook some chicken or prawns on the side if you need some meat with your dish.
Add us on Snapchat: @collegetimesct