Moving out of your parent’s house for the first time can be pretty damn stressful, but it’s also one of those necessary evils we all have to go through. A rite of passage if you like. The basic concept of leaving home is brilliant and euphoria-inducing, but the reality is a little different when the worry sets in.
Will your meagre wages stretch to cover everything? Do adults buy blocks of cheese or the pre-sliced stuff? Do you have a can-opener that you can take with you? Can someone adequately explain what council tax is to you? Here are 2o thoughts everyone has when they leave the nest for the first time.
1. This is going to be so amazing!
2. Yeah, doing my own washing won’t be fun, but it’ll be fine…
3. I’m going to have to start going to the supermarket again, I hate the supermarket
4. I really hate the supermarket
5. But we’ll have shit loads of house parties so who cares
6. Think about all the mess though…
7. Actually, let's leave the house parties
8. What the actual fuck is council tax?!
9. Oh God, can I even afford to do this? *checks wages frantically*
10. I’m going to have to leave all this stuff at mums anyway because the room is so small
11. What if my new housemates are awful?
12. How do you make spaghetti bolognese again?
13. How on earth can people get away with charging this much as a deposit?
14. This is getting ridiculous, maybe I should just stay at home
15. Hang on a second, this will be good. THIS IS GOING TO BE FINE
16. Stop being such a drama queen and get on with it
17. I’m going to die in a pile of nacho cheese dust and empty noodle wrappers
18. It’s too late now, this is happening
19. Is this what being an adult is all about? Spending lots of money and living in a tiny room?
20. What's the story with fabric softener? Is that even a thing?
Video: Moving House & Tour | Niomi Smart
Credit: Niomi Smart.