Sausage rolls are the crispy Gods of any hangover or morning snack but sometimes they carry waistline guilt. After you've finished shoveling the sixth sausage roll into your gob you feel nauseous, crap and your hands are greasier than a week away from a shower.
We've decided the world needs to know about the three ingredient sausage rolls that are tasty, take minutes to make and will banish any throbbing hangover*.
What you'll need:
- Hot dogs/ sausages
- Puff Pastry
- Cut your premade puff pastry dough, which you can buy in most supermarkets, into squares nearly the length of the sausage/hot dog.
- Take your cheese slices or slices of cheddar cheese and make sure it's slightly smaller than the slice of puff pastry. Place the cheese on top of the pastry.
- At the edge of the cheese pastry place your hot dog. At this stage add a sauce on top of the pastry if you'd like or keep it for the side of the dish - a caramelised onion dip would be our preference. Handling the hot dog and the pastry, roll the pastry around the hotdog. (If you're using sausages it's best to remove the skin from the sausage before you pop them in the centre of the pastry so you get that soft meaty bite).
- Cut your sausage roll into two or three pieces and place them on a baking tray. Brush with egg wash if desired - this will give them a crispy finish.
- Make small cuts into the pastry. Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes on a high heat until the outside of the roll is crispy.
- Leave them to cool for up to five minutes and then tuck in.
Let us know in the comment section what you'd add to these tasty pigs in a blanket.
*We have no scientific proof of this, only that greasy foods make us feel better when we're hungover, and in our day to day lives.