Irish skin therapist Eavanna Breen has detailed five steps that people can undertake in order to avoid breakouts caused by masks.
The COVID-19 pandemic has seen a reliance on people using face coverings in order to stop the spread of the virus. Although you're doing the right thing for society by wearing your mask, you may not be doing the right thing for your skin.
The consistent wearing of face coverings has led to several people breaking out on the lower half of their face.
Solutions aren't always forthcoming, but thankfully, Eavanna Breen has a five step plan to help your skin recover.
- Invest in a gentle cleanser. Often cleansers contain surfactants that potentially further aggravate the skin. Speak to a skin therapist about which products are needed specifically for you.
- Ensure your mask is cleaned regularly if you are using a cloth mask. If using disposable masks, change them as required.
- Keep your skincare routine simple, go back to basics for a period of time to allow your skin barrier to heal and repair itself.
- Continue to wear sunscreen, as taking your mask on and off frequently can remove your sunscreen and leave the skin vulnerable to continued damage.
- DO NOT PICK YOUR SKIN. This will likely lead to aggravating the condition, further spreading of the acne and even scarring.
Speaking on the topic, Breen said that there has been a distinct increase in the number of people enquiring about her services, adding that frustration is evident but simplicity is the best option.
“Since it became mandatory to wear masks in public, I have seen a significant increase in the amount of clients who come to the clinic.
"There is some frustration about this condition, with some clients saying they are wearing the masks, not touching their faces and therefore should see a reduction in acne but instead unfortunately we are presented with this new phenomenon.
“General advice would be to examine your skincare routine and keep things simple.
SEE ALSO: Paul Mescal Felt 'Objectified' Receiving 'Intense DMs' After Normal People Aired