Getting braces is a very common thing nowadays, but everyone who wore them will resonate with these truly awful memories. As if teenage life isn't emotional and awkward enough? Add braces into the equation and it seemed like a nightmare at the start. Of course it all turns out for the best in the end, but these are the things that only people who had braces will understand.
12. Thinking "Why ME?!" when you found out it was time to get your braces.
Sometimes the world just seems so unfair. Some people are born with perfect teeth, and others need to get braces on for 2 and a half years...
11. The sheer pain you endured for days afterwards.
The immense pain in your gums was almost unbearable. No amount of painkillers could totally numb it.
10. Drinking all of your meals for the next week.
The blender and straw were your best friends. Remember surviving on a stable diet of yoghurt and soup?
9. Refusing to smile for ages.
And when you did smile, you gave that weird, creepy grin where you tried to hide your braces so only the tops of your gums were on show.
8. Getting elastic bands attached.
What a horrific idea. Whoever though of this? Bright and colourful elastic bands which pin themselves across your teeth. At least change the colour so people don't ask you about them over and over again.
7. Fearing that you wouldn't get to kiss anybody until you got them off.
When you have braces, you think that they are the most unattractive thing in the world. But they're not, and you quickly realised that there's far more unattractive things then braces.
6. The great feeling when your friends got braces.
You're not alone in this struggle! Solidarity. The glorious feeling when one of your friends gets braces too. You say nothing of course, but inside you're weeping with happiness.
5. Running your tongue along your braces.
How weird? Don't lie, you did it.
4. Having food lodged in your braces.
It was one of the worst situations about having braces. You had to try and remove the bits of food that crept into the gaps between the metal and hope that nobody noticed you doing so.
3. Getting your braces tightened.
You knew it was coming but it never made it any better. The pain would resurface, as would the blender and straw...
2. Being called the worst nicknames in the world.
Braceface, Train Tracks and Metal Mouth were among the worst. Then some people had the audacity to shout "CHOO CHOOOOO!"
1. The euphoria you feel when you get your braces off!
There is no better feeling in your adolescent life than the day you get your braces off. Going from trying not to smile to unleashing that glorious Hollywood smile at every opportunity is just fantastic!